Thursday, June 14, 2012

Just Do It Already

I have a dream. Not an awe-inspiring, change the world dream but a dream nonetheless, and when I was seven months pregnant, I broke the news to John - I'm going to run a marathon. If you know John at all, you realize these are probably the most romantic words that ever could have stumbled out of my mouth. He was immediately on board and started encouraging me, creating a training plan and excitedly and repeatedly asking, "are you really going to do this?"

Something about being gigantically pregnant and restricted from running made me want to set a seemingly unattainable goal. I'm not really a runner. My sprinting career was not inspiring. Obviously, I can run. It's just I'm not a diligent trainer. My training effort for the Austin Half was certainly not inspiring. I am, however, wildly stubborn. After blowing off my training plan and never running more than 5 miles at a time, I pushed through the Austin Half when it seemed impossible. And I know if I would require my body to train, it would happily oblige. I just have to remember what it felt like to not be able to do something and just do it already.

So here's the goal - the White Rock Marathon (well, now the Dallas Marathon) on Sunday, December 9th, 2012 in less than four hours. And there's the really unrealistic portion of the goal, but what's a goal if you know you can achieve it?

For all of you saying, "Whoa, no. Not me!" - Right now, these are my training partners. We go slow, but I hear every step counts. Now, who's coming with me?!

No comments:

Post a Comment