Monday, August 24, 2015

First Day of School!

Charlie boy, you darted through the school doors this morning and left me in the common area offering excuse-mes in an effort to keep your pace. When we got the email this spring that you had a spot at the All Austin Cooperative Nursery School, my heart burst with happiness and anticipation. You've been ready for today for awhile. I thought I was too, but when my voice broke this morning as I asked to take your picture by the school sign, I could tell this might be harder on me than you. After shouting hi to your teacher, the tub filled with soap, sponges, babies, and towels caught your attention, and you set hard to work scrubbing those babes down (eyeballs and all). When the babies were properly rinsed, you rushed inside to play with the kitchen and looked up to find a "REAL PHONE FOR KIDS!" You immediately started calling Joe, your favorite person who doesn't really exist. We moved into the block room to build a road for the bus and then to painting and dough and finally outside to the plastic horses and dump trucks. For an abbreviated day, you surely made your rounds. You were kind and friendly and open to all that was around you. I felt proud of your words, your heart, and your adventurous spirit. I can't wait for you to learn and really play with your classmates and make friends. I immediately fell in love with a few kids in your class. I'm anxious to see who interests you. You're rocking this school thing. Nobody is surprised. 


It was just four years ago, after an adrenaline-filled first day back at school for me, I found out you were just the tinniest nugget growing in my belly. I spent almost every day that school year listening to The Head and the Heart's Rivers and Roads. Basically, every day singing and sobbing in my car, "Rivers and roads. Rivers and roads. Rivers till I reach you." I knew I might, ultimately, think pregnancy flew by, but I just couldn't wait to know you. Now this song has become my mantra with you. I still cry almost every time, but on our trying days, it reminds me this is all temporary, and then on our best days, it also reminds me this is all temporary. More than anything you've taught me that change is what this life is all about, and change isn't my strong point. Truthfully, whether it's a good or rough day, I'm acutely aware that someday, in the not so distant future, we won't be attached at the hip anymore, and just like when you were in my belly, I'll be counting down the days until I get to see you, squeeze you, know you a little better. We're so unbelievably blessed to have had these past three years together, and now on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings, we're welcoming some new, wonderful people into our community. I trust them whole-heartedly with your sweet soul. School served us so well this morning. I hope we have a whole year full of blissful days.






No comments:

Post a Comment