Tuesday, January 15, 2013

It's a Celebration

Sunday was a big day around the Wahlers' house. John ran his first road race, other than the Trot, in almost a year (and killed it!), and Charlie was baptized at All Saints Episcopal church surrounded by family and friends. Truly a beautiful day. A day of welcoming.


Growing up I understood baptism as the cleansing of sins, an absolutely necessary sacrament if you ever intended on going to heaven. But as an adult, that description was a harder pill to swallow. I don't believe that if Father Mike hadn't poured water over Charlie's head on Sunday that he'd be destined for hell. And I certainly can't wrap my head around this sweet, little bundle needing to be cleansed of sins. But a few years ago at my nephew's baptism I finally understood. My dad's close family friend, Father Angelo Gambatese, baptized my two youngest nephews, and it was his words that resonated with me. He described baptism as an official welcoming into a community. A day for all of us to celebrate this new life and commit to supporting him throughout his journey. A commitment to guide him morally and support him lovingly. And this made sense. It was just like the day John and I stood up in front of our family and friends and vowed to love and support each other. We knew we'd do this without the official ceremony, but there was something about that day. Something about standing up in front of everyone and taking those vows and seeing all our family and friends out there vowing right along with us to love, support and guide us in the future. I wanted that for Charlie. I know he'll have no recollection of this day, but the symbolism of it is powerful.

Charlie's baptism was certainly a welcoming. Surrounded by family and friends, we all vowed to love, support and guide Charlie. We took time to reflect and, of course, celebrate. And goodness this kid is worth a celebration. What an angel he is. He sat quietly through church, intently listening to the sermon, and didn't bat an eye when Father Mike poured the water over his head, and naturally, he revelled in the fanfare...a whole church clapping for him. What could be better? Sunday was a celebration of life. Charlie's life and the unbelievable community that embraces him.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment