Sunday, October 15, 2017

June - One Month!

Your dad and I stayed home with Charlie, literally didn't leave the house other than for walks, for an entire month, and it's no surprise that by the time Charlie hit the four week mark, we were going absolutely insane. June, you're a whole other story. You tag along for baseball games, dinner clubs at friends' houses, dinners out at restaurants with visiting family, watching your cousins' cheerleading, grocery store runs, lunch dates, etc, and all of our sanity is better because of it. God bless living and learning. Jennifer, Matt, Madi, and Jackson came down, and your uncle Kevin crashed with us for a night; they were all just real happy to meet and squeeze you. GiGi also made her way back down to squeeze you right before you hit the four week mark. Welcome to all the love, girl.

We had your one month appointment this week, and while I was just certain you're a little tiny peanut, Dr. Bell said you're in the 90th percentile for head and height and the 70th percentile for weight; you've officially hit double digits - 10 lbs 4 oz! Everywhere we go people marvel at how tiny and alert you are. You're still firmly holding to the three hour cycles during the day, and unlike your brother, you nap pretty well in your bassinet and will normally give me a few good chunks of time during the day to get the important things done - ya know, like showering, laundry, and washing dishes. We're still in that slow newborn rhythm. Nighttime sleep is still very much fragmented. It's amazing what my brain let me forget. It's like I had a foggy idea of what sleep deprivation was, but I'd forgotten the reality. Oof. I'm reminding myself that these long days are actually fleeting and the sleepless nights won't last forever. This time around I'm not worried about "spoiling you" if I hold you through a nap or pull you into bed with me to eek out a couple more hours of sleep in the morning. There's a lot of freedom in raising your second child.

You've started smiling; of course, your brother was on the receiving end of your first real smile. It's amazing that you already know his voice and are interested in him so much more than your dad and me. How the heck do you know he's a little human too? Whatever is drawing you to him immediately, I can tell you the feeling is mutual. His love affair with you started early in my pregnancy. He hoped so badly that you would be a girl so that our family could "complete the pattern." I have endless stories of his limitless love, but my favorite happened this summer when I waddled into his room after he'd woken up way too early and laid down with him. About a year ago, he'd asked to paint his room golden, so I found a shade of yellow that I thought would do the trick. it turns out that marigold quite frankly accosts the eyes when painted on the wall, but Charlie liked it, so we left it. Since y'all are destined to be roommates in our tiny house, laying in his bed that morning, I gently started to break it to Charlie that we had to change the wall color. He stopped me mid-explanation saying, "Oh mom. I've been thinking about that, and I think you should just paint my room pink. June will love pink, and I like it enough." We ended up picking the lightest shade of blue, but oh sweet June, you've got that boy wrapped so firmly around your extra long fingers. We're all just real in love with you, gal pal. Happy one month.
















No comments:

Post a Comment