Monday, July 2, 2012

Jet Lag

Our week-long trip in Minnesota definitely spoiled me. I got use to being a two-parenting team all-day everyday, and oh how sweet it made life. The week-long trip also spoiled Chuck. He got to be held non-stop during the day. The combination of both of these spoilings proved to be toxic this past week. And on top of everything, I decided to go to Dallas on my own with Charlie. No big deal, right?

Trip positives - We stayed at Tania and Pat's spending quality time laughing, crying, eating cookie cake and catching up. Charlie got some overdue GiGi and Pops time, and he undoubtedly remembered my mom's sweet, soothing voice and was instantly at peace whenever he was around her. Love! We played Top Golf where my brother and I dominated (I'll take the credit!). We spent time hanging out and catching up with my oldest sister, Jennifer; Matt; my favorite second mom, Patty; and Zachary, Tiffany, Charlie, and Eileen got to meet Chuck. Charlie got to go on two swimming adventures with his GiGi and cousins. We watched my four-year-old nephew's t-ball team, The Fire Ants, dominate in their last game (alright so only three players showed up for the other team...it still counts as a win!). We picked up Stanley - the house just wasn't the same without him. And Charlie, once again, was held during most of his naptimes...his favorite.









Trip rough spots - The stop in Waxahachie was weird - I refuse to go into anymore detail. Charlie was thrown off his schedule which made for a fussy baby. He woke up at midnight (never happens), 4:00 and 6:00...not fun. I thought I planned the perfect trip home, but things went downhill as soon as we got in the car. He fussed immediately. That never happens. He quietly kicked around in the backseat for about forty-five minutes without falling asleep. That never ever happens. And then we hit Waxahachie, ugh. Charlie cried off and on from Waxahachie to Round Rock. I kept hoping that the normally calming effect of the road would lull Charlie to sleep, but it never happened. And I was hesitant to stop because it was late. I'm certain if Stanley had opposable thumbs he would have happily opened the door and thrown himself from the car; I was right there with him. And of course when we arrived in Austin all three of us were exhausted and mad at the world. Just the sweet family John had been missing, I'm sure.

So now, we're desperately trying to get Charlie use to being back at home and sleeping in his bed. He's not-so-silently protesting, but we're staying the course. I'm anticipating a rough week ahead and am steadily reminded that this mothering thing is not for the weary. It can be trying on our best day, but the reward is sweet. The love is sweeter, and even though today is tough, I believe tomorrow will be better.   

No comments:

Post a Comment