Sunday, July 29, 2012

Can I Help You With Something?

Tania's been taking care of me for as long as I can remember. On more than one occasion, she's been my absolute saving grace. She let me sneak into her bed almost every night growing up, and in our late night conversations I learned all sorts of things. She helped me keep my sanity during my parents' divorce. She bought me SAT for Dummies and helped me prep for college applications. She sent me Smile Boxes (yellow, smiley face boxes full of chips, candy, and sodas...the perfect dorm room snacks) while I was homesick at school. She's introduced me to delicious new foods and ridiculously relaxing massages. She took me shopping for work clothes, helped outfit my new classroom, and insisted on adding to my pregnancy wardrobe - everybody needs maternity Citizens jeans, right?! She's helped me plan and budget. She's supported me in every next step - new jobs, new cities, new homes, new cars, marriage and our latest addition, sweet Charlie. It's no coincidence that she was the first one to the hospital or that she and her family stayed to help make sure John and I were properly settled in at home with Charlie before returning to Dallas. Whenever I'm certain I'm too weak, too afraid, too shy, she's right there to reassure me that I'm strong, smart and should be confident. She often knows exactly what I need before I've even realized it, and the plans for this weekend were no different.

As much as I know Tania wanted to see Charlie, I also know that a big part of coming down this past weekend was to check in on me, so we planned a weekend where we could have it all - Charlie time and a little time to ourselves. And with John on board, I started pumping my ass off in anticipation of my first full-night's sleep in almost three months.

Tania got down here Friday evening, played with Charlie, made us Brooksters (yes, they will change your life), and we talked, laughed and solved most of the world's problems. Saturday was no different except that after I fed Charlie in the late afternoon we headed downtown to the Four Season's to get ready for a delicious dinner and restful night. Some highlights - No-nonsense Tania got us upgraded to a suite with a view, I showered, took a bath and showered again all in less than a twenty-four hour period (magical), we ordered almost everything on Uchiko's menu and fell into a wonderful sushi coma, and at approx. 10 o'clock we stopped talking and slept soundly until 8:30. Oh my, ten hours of sleep felt reeeaaaallll good.




I feel rejuvenated. John got some one on one time with the Chuckster. And once again, Tania somehow found a way to, seemingly effortlessly, take care of everything. Reminding me that the very best thing you can offer someone is your time. Well, and a little extra sleep doesn't hurt.

1 comment: