Monday, July 16, 2012

A New Kind of Classroom

The decision to leave Westwood was not made lightly. John and I had discussed me staying home before Charlie was even in the picture. We both agreed that it was the ultimate goal, but we weren't sure how we could make it work. And when Charlie came quicker than we planned, we really weren't sure how it would all work out. We talked about ways we could be creative with our finances, looked into a few daycare options, cried a little (guess who that was?) and ultimately decided that we would continue to keep open minds and open hearts about our options next year, but if we needed me to go back to work, I would.

Admittedly, once Charlie was here, I was devastated by the idea of going back. I made plans to use my leftover six weeks of leave in the fall, knowing that it would be a rough way to start the year with the students but, also, realizing I'd want to hoard as much Charlie time as possible before I went back to the classroom. And then out of nowhere, a job opportunity opened up for John this summer, and he went for it with all his heart. To say he "went for it" probably isn't a fair description. My normally laid-back husband who generally allows things to play themselves out was aggressively making this job happen for him. For us. Because of his willingness to put himself out there, he made the dreams we have for our family a reality.

Sure we'll have to be creative and we'll have to make different choices, but I believe in choices. It's a choice that we live where we live, drive the cars that we drive and eat what we eat. When I listen to stories of my parents starting out they had a little house, one car, eating out was a treat, and they made our family work with extremely limited resources. My dad worked multiple jobs so that my mom could stay home and be with us full-time. My mom was creative with the types of fun things we got to do, the meals she made and our clothes (oh was she ever creative with our clothes). They may not have had all the luxuries they wanted, but they made choices. They made sacrifices. And our family had what we needed. I'm hoping John and I can do the same for Charlie. I saw this sign shortly after John and I made the official decision for me to stay home, and the words couldn't have resonated with me more in that moment.

The text reads..."Choose your corner, pick away at it carefully, intensely and to the best of your ability and that way you might change the world." - Charles Eames

For the last seven years, my classroom at Westwood has been my corner, and while I can't say I've changed the world, I know I've made a difference. Now it's time to pick a new corner for a while. I'll have a new kind of classroom. I anticipate it'll still be a place where I learn as much as I teach, and I know it will require just as much energy and dedication. But I feel so lucky to embark on this next chapter. To make a difference in Charlie's, for now, little world.

3 comments:

  1. Lucky you! Lucky Charlie! Lucky WHS for seven wonderful years! Lucky students that had the good fortune to be in your classes. The unlucky ones who migrated to me ALWAYS agreed, when I chastised them (“It sucks to be you!”) for missing your clever classes. Lucky me! You inspired me to be a serious teacher. Jo Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! The year I spent with you inspired me. You're amazing.

      Delete