Friday, December 21, 2012

A Village

I just mailed off my paperwork this afternoon sealing my first semester of staying home with Charlie and working part-time. Sometimes I still can't believe we've made it work. The realities of not working a paying, full-time job were a bit harsh initially. The cut-backs we've made in the past few months are monumental. But it's all working; we're making ends meet. Although those ends certainly wouldn't be meeting if it weren't for some generous, helping hands along the way.

My first, adult-life boss, Pat, is one of the main reasons this has been possible for us, for Charlie. I still contend that she's one of the most amazing people I've met in my life. Pat jumped in as a friend and mentor without hesitation. When I first started working at Westwood, she wrote both my parents a letter explaining to them just how valuable I was, what worth I was adding to the school and the students. It didn't matter that I was 23 and feeling very much like an adult that letter meant the world to me and my parents. Pat's always been in my corner, helping me make smart career and life decisions. And this summer was no different. When I told her I was officially resigning, she was one of my number one supporters, and when I emailed her later that month asking her to keep her ears open if something part-time came along, she was unbelievably encouraging. And sure enough she connected me with Gretchen and UTeach. Working out the numbers and allowing me to fill in the gaps, Gretchen welcomed me on board with open arms. And UTeach has been an amazing opportunity allowing me to still be in the classroom without all the teacher responsibilities. It's made my staying home with Charlie the very best reality. I couldn't ask for a better fit of a job right now as we attempt to navigate this new life, but even with a great job, I couldn't have done this semester without my in-laws. Fred and Ellen moved down here in May, and when I decided to take the job with UTeach, they were the very first to offer their time. Ellen allowed me to occupy her calendar at least once a week for a few hours a day, and everytime, without fail, she made me feel like I was the one doing her a favor by dropping Charlie off. For those few hours a week and this semester, I will be forever indebted. These past months would not have been as easy without UTeach, and Fred and Ellen certainly helped make UTeach a real possibility.

I wholeheartedly agree it takes a village, and I'm wildly grateful for mine. Thanks for helping to make our dreams a possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment