Friday, May 24, 2013

Puddle Jumping

Walking has opened up our world. Charlie is back to being the most contented kid I know and the tantrums of month eleven have flown out the window. I guess it's pretty frustrating to be working so hard on a skill and just not quite be able to perfect it. He started walking the day after his birthday, and everyday I'm in awe of how quickly he's figuring everything out. But quite possibly my favorite moment of walking came today when I big storm swept through Austin. 

Charlie was taking a wonderful afternoon nap when the storm revved up, and while I was more than enjoying getting a little laundry done and sneaking some reading of Sedaris's Me Talk Pretty One Day (and dying of laughter), I was ecstatic that Chuck awoke before the storm rolled by. I scooped him out of bed, and we ate his afternoon snack on the porch punctuated by a series of "Wow!" - Charlie's new favorite word (and mine too). Before Charlie finished his grub, he was eagerly asking, "up, up, up" and pointing down the stairs. I figured why not, so we darted inside and threw on our raincoats. What an experience. Charlie's seen the rain before - when he was just a few days old it rained and rained and rained and sleeping outside in his dad's arms was his favorite place to be, but he's never really been out in it. Initially it was a bit startling, but this kid is the bravest tiny person I know, and it wasn't long before he was cruising through the yard and headed for the tidal wave running down the street. Glee. Pure joy. 


When I was little I remember parading around my circle in the storms belting out American Pie until I just couldn't get more soaked, and sharing this afternoon with Charlie was maybe my favorite day we've ever had. He's a total kid lately, and we're having so much fun exploring. Can't even believe rain or shine I get to play with this sweet, adventurous kid everyday. 


1 comment:

  1. Any sweeter, and he'd melt in that rain. What a wonderful--and natural!--experience for both of you!

    ReplyDelete